Wednesday, October 07, 2009

[another must read] Bae Yong Joon as a person

As written above, it's another MUST read. ^_^ It's an enlightening interview and it feels so good reading Yong Joon's personal words. Heaps of thanks to gaulsan for doing the translation of this long interview.

Part 1 of this interesting interview of Bae Yong Joon with Korean media in Japan was posted HERE. I found today Part 2 posted on BYJ thread @ soompi.

This part is more interesting than Part 1 because this reveals some interesting info of who really is Bae Yong Joon. Whether you are a fan or not I hope that again you'll give time to read this and know how is he as a person.

Btw, as I've said earlier Yong Joon doesn't have a good relationship with Korean reporters before [he is often misunderstood since he doesn't want to give much interviews] . But because of his book 'Travel in Search of Beauty of Korea' many Korean reports were deeply moved by his book.

***

Speaking of BYJ as a human being [Interview part ②]
Source: Maeil Economy Star Today, Reporter Cho Eun Yong
Translated into English : gaulsan

* This article contains most part of the interview BYJ had with Korean press after completing both events. Some part are introduced in other articles, and some are not.

----------------

He looked tired. He has been working so hard for a long time. Sepsis caused his body temperature to go up as high as 40'C , but he couldn't rest properly due to the events planned ahead. While leaning on medicines he was taking, he flew to Japan and finished two large events that was held on September 29th and 30th. On 30th, He had a meeting with Mrs. Miyuki, the wife of Japanese Prime Minister and discussed on cultural exchange. Now the name BYJ came to means more than an actor who played the leading role in WLS. It is natural that every step he leads has huge impact on cultural industry and the way Japanese understand Korea. Is it because of such position? BYJ was prudent enough to ask reporters to use the term "Asian wave" instead of "Korean wave". However, once the dialogue came to his personal life, he often joked and led the interview in a pleasure manner.

Q : How did you feel when you started WLS again after 7 years?

A : I hesitated a lot when I heard that they were making an animation of WLS. I am sorry to say that at first I was not interested in doing the same work again. However, once I started to read the script at home, I suddenly felt that 'I want to fall in love'. As the drama shook my emotion in such a short time, I came to admit that WLS was a good drama, and I felt my desire to express the emotion once more. So I replied that I will do the voice. Of course I have changed during the past 7 years, but I thought I could go back to that moment, and I am trying to do so when I work on this project.

Q : What has changed after you became a Hallyu star since 2002?

A : As I've lived this way since I made my debut, there was not much change. There is one thing that did change, though. When I go out of my house, the travel agencies bring people to the pIaces where I go. Of course I don't go to inappropriate pIaces from the start, but I often feel sorry that my freedom is restricted.

[liezle : sigh... that's really true. travel agencies include yong joon sighting in their itinerary. really outrageous. but many japanese fans go for it despite the staggering fee. these travel agencies would include going to beauty salons, gym, gorilla in the kitchen, and if they know his sked they will follow him. i really do hope that this travel agencies will be sensitive enough and will know their limits.]

Q : It is very hard to behave well as a public figure in Korea. Did you ever experience the clash between BYJ that people expect and BYJ as you desire?

A : I think that's a task that I should carry on for the rest of my life.
I also think that the pIace where you stand is up to how much you find yourself, and how much you train yourself.

Q : Some people say that there is a discrepancy between your popularity in Korea and Japan. How do you think about that?

A : I have a big Family in Korea. People might think like you because Korean Family had less chance to unite in one pIace. In fact, I shed tears in the event on 30th because of Korean Famly. I felt painful when I thought that I've done nothing for them, and they still came here in Japan to support me. During the event of both days, there were many moments that I nearly cried but I managed to hold back my tears, but I couldn't hold it any more when I saw their eyes.

[liezle : alright his answer above is a testament that he cried when he saw the Korean fans at Tokyo Dome. I actually blogged this last week. now that he has said this, i hope that Yong Joon will do something for his Korean fans in Korea. It has been a long time since he saw them in one place.]

Q : It was interesting to see you speak Japanese and write a postcard in Japanese.

A : In fact, I wanted to talk more in Japanese. However, after suffering with fever, I couldn't do as I've wanted because my memory seemed to be wiped out. I am constantly studying Japanese and English.-- It doesn't mean that I am planning to go to Hollywood, or I want to become a certain type of actor. I am just doing my best.

[liezle : Yong Joon's profeciency in Japanese is really good. About his English, we've know that he's been studying since 2003 [?] and that he has his teacher with him during April Snow location shooting. Until now as what he said he's still studying English. One of his staff Brian speak English well and he's always with him. I wonder what's his profeciency in English. Could we hear him speak? I don't know Yong Joon may not in public his very shy]

Q : In the event for Animation WLS, you made an interesting response when Lee Yong Yu, who played the role of a child called you 'uncle'. Are you actually sensitive to that name? (laugh)

A : Really, I don't care of such name. Yong Yu is now 12 and it is natural for her to call me uncle. I made such response to make the audience happy. You reporters liked it and wrote about it, too, didn't you? (laugh) Anyway, I am not afraid of getting old. On the contrary, I have wanted to get older since I was in my twenties. I wanted to see my future. That age is a hard period to everyone, isn't it? Going through all that, now I can see what I couldn't see before, and I can think in the way I couldn't. I am happy that I am getting better little by little.

Q : You bought Digital Adventure, a Japanese corporation. Why?

A : That's the decision of the company, not mine. I once was interested in business, but now I am really not interested in it. I've concluded that business is not my way because I can't afford the constraints that it brings me. There are many things that I want to do instead. I don't know how long I will stay as an actor. After that, I would like to become a farmer, then a photographer, and then a ceramic artist.

Q : The information about BYJ as a natural human being is very limited. Can you tell us about your everyday life?

[liezle : this is very interesting, i hope you won't skip this part]

A : I don't attempt to be a mystical being. It is the reporters who gave me such image, not me. Basically, I was very shy since I was a little boy, and usually stayed at home reading books. I still stay at home if I don't have works to do outside. I wake up at 7-8 o'clock in the morning. If I stayed up late last night, I wake up at 10-11 o'clock. Then I drink a cup of tea and exercise for about an hour. After taking a shower, I read books or do other things. As I've bought lots of wine after I've become interested in winery, there are many wine boxes in my house. I piled them up and made a bookshelf. I wanted to put the photo of that bookshelf in my book, but I was short of time. Behind that bookshelf, there is a workpIace for lacquer painting and a spin for ceramic art. I practice both arts there.

Q : People think that BYJ has everything. What do you think you are lacking?

A : What I need is a wife, what I lack is my freedom. (laugh) As I've wrote in my book, I think one must gain [i.e. learn] much in order to discard much when you go through the Moo Moon Kwan*. One day, when I was contemplating on this subject at home, I felt that the furniture were the owner of the space, not me. That moment I thought, 'someday I should get rid of these things. I should reduce my possessions.' The time might come earlier than I expect. We don't become happier by having more, do we? I think we can stay happier when we live in a more simple way... when we feel something is missing. Nowadays, I am exercising on discarding things. (laugh)

[liezle : Yong Joon, I know it's just a matter of time that you'll get married. I can't wait for that day to come and see little Yong Joons]

[Note * In p. 366 of 'the beauty of Korea', YJ wrote.
I once planned that if I build a Korean traditional house, I would go in there with lots of books, lock the door up, and study there for a long time. However, the surprising thing is, the Moo Moon Kwan requires one to go in without anything. No books, no belongings, just your body. I was disappointed. What shall I do without my books? I felt that I have a long way to go to reach that level. I have to learn more to discard myself.]

[ * Moo Moon Kwan, 무문관, 無門關
It is a book written in Song Dynasty(China) by a monk named Jong So(종소, 宗紹), who recorded the preaches of his master Moo Moon Hye Gae (무문혜개,無門嵆開). The full name of this book is SeonJong Moo Moon Kwan 선종무문관(禪宗無門關)
It contains 48 major themes that is important in Zen buddhism.
The meaning of '無(none)' does not mean the opposite of '有(being, existence)'. The '無' means the absolute level of recognition that one could reach... one does not even discriminate '無' and '有' if he/ she reaches there. The major theme of this book is the pursuance of that '無'.

* In many cases, 무문관 also means studying hard in a temple to reach the level described above. YJ used this word in this meaning.]


Q : I think it's time to talk about your marriage. When do you think you will get married?

A : Once I spoke I might get married within three years. My grandmother has mistaken it as three months and asked me 3 months later 'why aren't you getting married?' Now there is only one year left. I ask people around me to help me get married and I try to make a chance, but it is hard to meet somebody because of my circumstance. Anyway, I have to get married, no, I feel I need to get married and I think it would be nice to get married, but who might volunteer to be a wife of a farmer? (laugh)

Q : I've heard that Mrs Lee Hyo Jae is going to introduce you a good bride.(laugh)

A : I've learned how to do household work from Mrs. LHJ. I've thought that my future wife will like me if I learn such things, but people tell me the opposite way. They tease me that it would make me more difficult to get married. Who would marry a man who learned of keeping house from Lee Hyo Jae? That would make my wife even more tired. (laugh)

Q : Doesn't the staffs of BOF advice you about marriage?

A : Even though I am not married yet, I often advice them about married life. (laugh) I tell them that once a man gets married, one must be responsible and take one's family as his first priority. You know, some people stay late at the office even though they don't have much work to do. They call their wife and say that they have work to do. I tell them to do the work in time and go home early, to watch watch movies and read books with their wives. I try not to make phone calls to them after 8-9pm.

[liezle : we have known all along that Yong Joon is a very considerate and generous person. he's people love him. . he would buy car as gift to his mangers, he would help staff his staff needing money without saying any and many more stories to tell]

Q : You've kept your long hair for quite a while and you recently cut it short. Was there any reason? I've also heard that you wanted to make a brush with your hair.

A : Yes, I felt really sorry to cut my hair. Of course it is easier to wash and dry, and it is good to save water and shampoo. I liked the feeling when my hair was tied up. However, many people wanted me to cut my hair. As you know, I have to think of others. So I had my hair cut. I think people prefer my new hair style. (laugh) Oh, brushes used in lacquer painting are made of human hair. I wanted to make brushes with my hair and share them with my teacher, but I was so sick when I cut my hair that I forgot about it. There will be another chance, as my hair will grow again.

Q : Is there any meaning with the ring that you are wearing all the time?

A : Isn't it nice? I've worn it for quite a long time, and eventually it became a part of me. When I once left this ring at home I felt unwell that day. (laugh) Now I feel something is missing if I don't wear this ring.

[liezle : Yong Joon's ring is Damiani . It is an Italian brand. The ring, which can be said to be a trademark of BYJ, is inset with sapphires and diamonds and is an unbelievable 304,500 yen! (US$2,800). During the filming of WS, he lost it once and bought the same thing again because he likes it so much]

Q : Do you think much about your style?

A : I just wear as I am told to. Of course I sometimes tell my opinion to my stylists, but they just don't care what I say. (laugh) They were stricter in the past. When I go abroad without them, my stylist displayed the clothes as she wanted, took pictures of them with a polaroid camera, and put the photos in my bag. She told me to wear exactly the same way. Frankly speaking, I don't like to be bothered with things I wear. I even feel embarrassed when someone buys me separate items such as one suit, or one trousers. I like them to be hung on my closet as a match so that I can wear them right away. (laugh)

Q : Tell us about what you are planning, and give some words to your fans.

A : I've opened up many part of my thoughts and the way I've changed throughout my book, but I think the most important thing is to come back as an actor. My Family would want it, and I feel I can express the change within myself through my act. I am eager to read many scenarios. It might help me stop thinking about other things. (laugh)

[liezle : geez, i can't wait to know what his next project. i hope he'll let us know soon the plans on the project with JYP and 'Drops of God']
***

Before i end this post, let me add here photos of Yong Joon sighting yesterday. He was seen visiting an office in Gangnam. Not sure why but I've a feeling that maybe he's looking for a new office. BOF and KEY i believe will be expanding.






p.s. it seems that the news about him being hospitalized last monday was a case of irresponsible journalism. it was said that he just had a thorough check up and was not confined.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree this is a must read not only by fans of BYJ, Liezle.

I am amazed with your energy. You blog SS501 and BYJ. You make so many happy. Keep it up.

khin said...

I agree, liezle has full of energy like JM. Not only on her blog, she's helping friends from outside also^^

Ayene said...

thank you soooo much liezle for sharing this.. am starting to learn more about him and it's so nice to read on his insights and comments as well..

what a guy... and whoever his wife will is one lucky gal alright..

i sure would like to work at bof.. er.. any suggestions on how to apply there hehe.. :-)


cheers! ^_^

Anonymous said...

I became a fan of him because of Winter Sonata..after that I never got over him.LOL! One goal(not just wish/dream) I have is to see him in person -by all means - before I go.